SOSIUS's workspace
::SOSIUS » Sosius Support Center » Forums » General Help » Share permission setting

Share permission setting

You're an Observer of this item
PreviousNext
by San Tomas on 11/16/2010 11:25:38 AM

Hi:

(1)

In setting the 'share' permission for each member, what does 'Edit' permission mean?

It should only allow the member to edit anything only within the assigned item, correct?

I tried with setting a member's right to 'Edit', and 'View' only, but it allows that member to overwrite the assignment of the task from the Manager to himself, or to others.   That should not be allowed, correct?

(2)

What is the "Manage Above" mean in your permission level?   I understand 'Manage" permission means one can do Edit, Create, Delete, and View.   But what does Manager 'Above' mean?

Tks for your prompt reply on this,

San

San Tomas
by Sosius Customer Service on 11/16/2010 12:04:58 PM

Hi San,

1. Edit permissions. Edit allows a member to edit the details of an item. 
In the case of tasks and your specific situation, what you want to do is grant those members who can update the task "Create" permissions. This allows a member to create a task response beneath the task which will automatically the status of the task (you should not edit a task directly, rather add task responses to the task so an task/audit history in maintained).

2. Can you clarify exactly where you see "Manage Above"? Without further details, I assume that it may be indicating that the member has manage permissions which are inherited from an item above the one you are looking at.

Kind regards,
Michael
Sosius Customer Service

by San Tomas on 11/16/2010 12:19:08 PM

Thanks Michael for the quick response.

1. With the 'Edit' permission set, still I have problems with a team member (not the Owner, and not the Manager) be able to edit a task that was not owned and assigned to him.  That was the confusion as I do not believe this permission is meant for editing items that are now owned or assigned to him.

Yet after I reset the permission level to denied 'Edit'; then it is OK and that member cannot see the 'Edit' button to make changes to the task.  So can you confirm my experience is correct, or incorrect?

2. For the 'Manage Above', I meant to say "Allowed above".

So the same question goes for "Denied above".  As  I just see it in the 'Legend' part in bottom-right corner of the Permission setting screen....see as listed below:

Legend

Allowed

Allowed above

Denied

Denied above

Not defined

So I don't understand what it means when you set a permission level to "Allowed above", so it is probably what you have explained here already.

San Tomas
by San Tomas on 11/16/2010 12:21:32 PM

I should add to the above (1) that the member was allowed to change the fields of 'Owner' and the 'Assignee' to different people...  So if this was allowed as in the "Edit" permission, then it would be confusion to all team members as to who was the original owner and who was the Assignee.

San Tomas
by Sosius Customer Service on 11/16/2010 11:43:58 PM

Hi San,

1. We'll look at restricting what is allowed to be changed for task responses by members that do not have full permissions (those who are only assigned to work on the task). I will let you know exactly what we will change here.

2. By default, when you set the permissions on an item, the same permissions apply to all items beneath it. You can override the permissions on items beneath it by clicking on the individual permission rules or stop the permissions defined above by clicking Stop Inherit Permissions. The legend shows that a dark green checkbox indicates that this rule is defined on an item above (inherited), whereas a light green checkbox indicates that it is a rule explicitly applied on this item.

Some further information can be found here: http://my.sosius.com/sosius/help/features/nodeactions/share

Kind regards,
Michael

by San Tomas on 11/17/2010 4:24:21 AM

Yes, thanks Michael.

So please do check into my reporting of the following:

1. With the 'Edit' permission set, still I have problems with a team member (not the Owner, and not the Manager) be able to edit a task that was not owned and assigned to him.  That was the confusion as I do not believe this permission is meant for editing items that are now owned or assigned to him.

**The way to check is to setup as the 'Manager' of a Task under a Workspace, assign that Task to a non-Manager member whose permission level is set to 'Editor'...

Then log in as the 'Editor' member, and see if you can see the "Edit" button for that Task, if you do see it, that means you can edit the Owner and Assignee inside that task; meaning the non-Manager can now alter the original record of who was Owner and who was the Assignee.

Chris

San Tomas
by Sosius Customer Service on 11/17/2010 5:02:13 AM

Hi Chris,

We will basically be looking at the following:
- if a member only has create (and not edit) permissions, the member can only make a task response to a task that is assigned to them and they cannot change who the task is assigned to or who is the owner.

Once we make these changes, to assign a task to a "non-manager", you would create a task, assign that task to a non-manager and ensure the non-manager has create permissions (not edit) on the task.

To be consistent will all other items, a person with Edit permissions will still have the ability to edit any task/task response.

Kind regards,
Michael

by San Tomas on 11/18/2010 4:10:12 AM

Hi Michael:

Basically we do not see much difference between a permission level of "Manage“ vs. "Edit", as both can make changes to all items within a task, including changing the "Owner" and "Assignee".....

SO is there a difference?  If so what is the difference?

San Tomas
by Sosius Customer Service on 11/18/2010 4:18:00 AM

Edit means that the member can edit the details of an item.

Manage (which includes the basic set of permissions such as Edit/Delete/Create/View) also has additional options such as setting the permissions, setting notifications etc etc - these are listed beneath the Options menu.

Kind regards,
Michael