SOSIUS's workspace
::SOSIUS » Sosius Support Center » Forums » General Help » Sign In

Sign In

You're an Observer of this item
PreviousNext
by Margy Rydzynski on 09/08/2007 23:38:42
Hi, there. I've just run across your site and it looks promising. Since you're looking for feedback, here's one:

I have a friend who is blind and who I would like to invite to the site. However, when you sign up to establish your initial login and password, you also have to enter a string of letters and numbers. There is no way a person without sight could do this.

Do you have an alternative set up? For example, some sites have an audio version as well as a visual one.

Thanks,
Margy Rydzynski
Boston, MA
USA
Margy Rydzynski
by Sosius Customer Service on 09/10/2007 03:07:31

Hi Margy,

Many thanks for all your constructive feedback, I've responded to your all of your items:

"I have a friend who is blind and who I would like to invite to the site. However, when you sign up to establish your initial login and password, you also have to enter a string of letters and numbers. There is no way a person without sight could do this.

Do you have an alternative set up? For example, some sites have an audio version as well as a visual one."

We are investigating the possibility of making this user friendly for blind people. The pages in the application itself have been designed to be accessible as possible:

• use well formed xhtml
  • main content is listed first, navigation content second
  • use semantic html with standard headings H1, H2, H3 etc
  • most images contain alt tags
  • most navigation elements are lists

"I thought I'd also mention that you need to tweak your input screens (for blog entries, tasks, etc.) so that users will be able to adjust font size a bit more easily. I find your default font size to be far too small. A lot of users will not understand the terminology (heading 1, heading 2, etc) as well.

I'd recommend you increase the default font size, and include an option for setting font size as well. Google's Blogger.com, for example, uses very simple size categories like "small" "large" "huge," that kind of thing. Others use a numeric system, with #1 being the smallest size and then going up from there."

We are looking at tweaking the font sizes in the input screens. We do not hardcode font sizes by pixels, all fonts sizes in the application are relative to one another - hence you can use the the Text Size setting in your browser to easily increase the font sizes.

"I've been playing with the workspace folders and have one suggestion: there doesn't seem to be a drag and drop feature within the workspace itself, so that if I want to move folders inside of one another all I need to do is drag them to where they belong. Right now I have to copy a folder, open the new folder into which it's going, paste the folder, then delete the original folder. That's very awkward."

This is a feature that is currently in development that will be making its way into the application.

"My blind friend tried to register for your service and got nowhere. Here's what he told me:

"OK, I went out to the Socius link to register, its got one of those forms you fill out, name, password, etc., so I did, then you get down to where it says to enter the special number shown below or above, whatever, this doesn't work with JAWS! So I haven't filled out the damn thing. I wonder why they put these things in these forms!

I gave it a try Margy, but I figure if they want me to use the thing then it's not accessible!"

Please consider making your site accessible so EVERY user can get onto it, not just able-bodied ones."

As stated above, we'll be striving to make the site as accessible as possible.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Michael

Sosius Customer Service

by Margy Rydzynski on 09/10/2007 22:16:10

Thank you for your speedy response. I may ask my blind friend if I could sign in for him and see how easily he can navigate the site using his screen reader (JAWS). I'm always on the lookout for accessible sites. By the way, I've noticed that most web 2.0 office productivity suites are not accessible, so you might have a competitive advantage that way. Realize, too, that older workers don't have the vision and the hearing that younger ones do. A middle-aged IT manager with bifocals (or a hearing aid!) may find your accessible site extremely appealing!

Best,

margy Rydzynski 

Margy Rydzynski
by Sosius Customer Service on 09/11/2007 17:12:36

Hi Margy,

We've incorporated some more accessibility enhancements including the addition of a sound for the code used in the registration page.

The FAQ has been updated with an accessibility section: http://my.sosius.com/sosius/help/faq

Kind regards,

Michael

by Margy Rydzynski on 09/11/2007 22:42:15

Wow! I'm impressed. thanks for your responsiveness. I'll be happy to continue using Sosius if it's as good as it seems to be so far!

I'll also recommend your product to others. Thanks again.

I'll be dropping you more feedback from time to time as the occasion dictates.

Best,

Margy Rydzynski

Margy Rydzynski